10.27.2008

The Best Thing About Hoops Is Fantasy Hoops

Tomorrow evening is my fantasy basketball draft. This is very exciting for me, and gives me something to do while "working". Your tax dollars at work, ladies and gents. Well, this year, we have a new Commish, Teye Ahulu Stern. T-Diddy, as he likes to be called, is kind of a bastard, as he set up the league for 10 teams, but now 12 are in it. That means I may have Kris Humphries as my starting centre, or if I am lucky, Erick Dampier. This is not a good thing. Also, I was under the impression that it was a free league, but now it is a $30 entry fee. It is not much, but I promised folks it was free, so we will see how that goes. It is not exactly a bank breaking amount, but I digress.
The thing about Fantasy Hoops is that you want to stay away from players you are attached to emotionally, like any Raptor in my case. It is tough this year, especially, because a lot of stars have switched teams, and some young guys are knocking on the door to superstardom. Who knows how Greg Oden or Derrick Rose will do?
The format we use is head-to-head, which means that each week, my roster goes up against another guys' roster. Categories include: Points, Rebounds, Blocks, Assists, 3PTM, FG%, FT% Steals and Turnovers(the less the better for this category).
I am the defending champ, and we have a lot of the same returning guys in the league, so it should be real fun. One of the best parts is the trash talking that occurs, and the trades you can offer up to rivals. Anything goes really, so you have to be a little thick-skinned. Ethnicities, employment status and respective girlfriends/wives are not off limits.
I look forward to my battles with Bob Izumi Jr. I hope he brings his shit.

1 comment:

Chris Windeyer said...

Prepare to be abused. Especially because I thought it was a free league too. I'll get around to paying up eventually.