11.18.2008

Mugsy's First Raptors Game

All I can say is that I enjoyed my first NBA game so much more than I thought I would. I have seen one other "pro" game, in 1994 in Hamilton for the World Championships. Dream Team 2, baby. But that was a long time ago. This time, it is the Toronto Raptorials vs. the Miami Heat. So, anyway, I have side prime tickets, which are about twenty rows back from the floor seats. Great tix. Great game. 22 lead changes after 3 quarters. D-Wade is dunking everywhere. J-O is blocking all shots. Bosh is Bosh. Calderon, is, well, sitting out with a pulled hammy. That was the only downer about the game. But on the bright side, I bet my buddy that Bargs would outscore Jose. Cha-Ching!
The highlight for me came when Jermaine blocked a lay-up attempt by I believe it was Mario Chalmers, and Ukic ran it down court, flipped it to Kapono for a transition 3-pointer. The crowd went nuts and that capped a 15-2 run. Game over. Free pizza too.

Compare this to my first Maple Leaf game of the year, last night at the ACC. We got tickets against the glass!!! Ten seats from the players bench. Pretty fucking crazy. Got 'em from the scalpers at 67% off pretty much. Great game, lots of hits, one fight, and good action end to end. BUT, everyone one around us was a corporate suit. I guess that's what to expect with such expensive seats. We were by far the loudest, most obnoxious people in our section. Every time we tried to start the "Go Leafs Go" thing, the suits looked at us as if we were high on the dope. It was demoralizing. Some arseholes behind us were even talking about mergers and profit margins or some shit during the fight! Totally unacceptable in my book. So we decided to get progressively louder and drunker. We paid pretty good cash the the seats, and if the jerks behind us don't want to stand up, they can sit down and stare at my fat ass. They actually asked us to sit down during the last minute of the game, when the Leafs had multiple opportunities to score. The shame. The worst fans in the league, no doubt. So at the end of the game, I decide to climb against the glass for a picture opportunity. I fell into the first row of seats, then rolled out onto the aisle way. We got kicked out. Well, not so much kicked out, but as we were leaving and yelling at the ushers(whom we called bouncers for some reason), they were yelling for security. Then we proceeded to make fun of a Bruins fan with a mullet, and I flicked my cigarillo(quit smoking regular smokes) at him.
One observation- Raptors fangirls are waaay prettier than Leafs fangirls, for whatever that is worth. and much more knowledgeable about their respective sports.

1 comment:

Chris Windeyer said...

Maybe they looked at you like you were high on dope because, I dunno, you were high on dope. Just a theory.